Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#13794 - 03/21/06 03:07 PM Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software?
Nacho02 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Frankfurt / Main
Hello all,

I have a question relating to a subject wich does not have to do with IMATCH (but affects us photographers). I hope it is o.k. to post here....

The question is directed to all of you using more than one computer, and having to synchronise the files between them. With what software do you do this?

I am currently using: AllWaySync and I am relatively happy with it. Because of the amount of files which I have to synchronise, I would have to buy a couple of licenses. But before I do this, I would like to hear from you if you have a better alternative....

Thanks in advance!

Ignacio

#13795 - 03/21/06 03:13 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software?
MartinLooker Offline

SyncBackSE does synchronisation, (and backups with lots of options), is cheap $25 and is generously licensed for use on up to 5 computers for home use. Thier support is also quick and helpful.

There is also a freeware version though I'm not sure it does synchronising.

With all these things test it well in realistic scenarios before you let it loose on your real images, there are lots of options in these products.

I'm a user of this product and not affiliated.

#13796 - 03/21/06 03:43 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software?
abarry Offline

I use SyncBack - the free version - to synch between my laptop and home computer as well as doing backups. Its simplicity of use means that I actually use it on a regular basis. I looked at AllWaySync, but thought SynchBack more intuititive.

Ann

#13797 - 03/21/06 03:54 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software?
Reinhard Offline

Loc: Germany
Hi,

my favored tools for this task are "Superflexible File Copier" and "Foldermatch".

Foldermatch is easier to use, but SFC has more options. It even detects files that have been moved on one of your computers.

#13798 - 03/21/06 04:35 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software?
Nacho02 Offline
Enthusiast

Hi Martin,

thanks for your post.

I have downloaded the trial version and I must say that it's full of options it seems very impressive.

I have also seen that there is a freeware version. Perhaps it's easier to use... you see, I don't want / or need tonnes of options. I'll check the differences.

Thanks

#13799 - 03/21/06 04:45 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software?
Nacho02 Offline
Enthusiast

Hi Ann,

thanks for your input. I'll check the free version and see what it has to offer, but I agree that simplicity of use is a must. I found AllWaySync intuitive.... but beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Thanks!

Ignacio

#13800 - 03/21/06 05:24 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software?
Carloncho Offline

MirrorFolder, works greatly with my extranl HD drive. I keep it in my office and I take it home every weekend to update it

http://www.techsoftpl.com/backup/

Carlos

#13801 - 03/21/06 05:54 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software?
MartinLooker Offline

I think the pay version has much better synchronisation options and it is cheap as it covers 5 computers for $25.

There is a simple and advanced interface.

But as I said whatever you use there is the possibility with this synchronising stuff to inadvertantly delete files, especially if you are syncing from and empty folder instead of to it. So please experiment on test data before you commit your real data.

#13802 - 03/21/06 06:05 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software?
Nacho02 Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

Hi,

my favored tools for this task are "Superflexible File Copier" and "Foldermatch".

Foldermatch is easier to use, but SFC has more options. It even detects files that have been moved on one of your computers.

Hi Reinhard,

the ability to chase files around a hard disk might be nice.

Thank you as well!!

Gre,

Ignacio

#13803 - 03/21/06 06:08 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software?
Nacho02 Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

I think the pay version has much better synchronisation options and it is cheap as it covers 5 computers for $25.

There is a simple and advanced interface.

But as I said whatever you use there is the possibility with this synchronising stuff to inadvertantly delete files, especially if you are syncing from and empty folder instead of to it. So please experiment on test data before you commit your real data.

Hi again Martin,

yes, thank for the warning. A back up is a must, in any case. I see the danger... which is why I would not want any application synchronising on its own!!

Thanks!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  DeKa42, khodadad, Mario, Richard, sinus 
Cookie Usage
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
Forum Stats
4854 Members
30 Forums
9159 Topics
60791 Posts

Max Online: 160 @ 04/02/08 10:02 AM
Links
photools.com Wiki
photools.com
Release Notes
Installation Instructions
New General Topics