Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#13794 - 03/21/06 03:07 PM Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software?
Nacho02 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Frankfurt / Main
Hello all,

I have a question relating to a subject wich does not have to do with IMATCH (but affects us photographers). I hope it is o.k. to post here....

The question is directed to all of you using more than one computer, and having to synchronise the files between them. With what software do you do this?

I am currently using: AllWaySync and I am relatively happy with it. Because of the amount of files which I have to synchronise, I would have to buy a couple of licenses. But before I do this, I would like to hear from you if you have a better alternative....

Thanks in advance!

Ignacio

#13795 - 03/21/06 03:13 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software?
MartinLooker Offline

SyncBackSE does synchronisation, (and backups with lots of options), is cheap $25 and is generously licensed for use on up to 5 computers for home use. Thier support is also quick and helpful.

There is also a freeware version though I'm not sure it does synchronising.

With all these things test it well in realistic scenarios before you let it loose on your real images, there are lots of options in these products.

I'm a user of this product and not affiliated.

#13796 - 03/21/06 03:43 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software?
abarry Offline

I use SyncBack - the free version - to synch between my laptop and home computer as well as doing backups. Its simplicity of use means that I actually use it on a regular basis. I looked at AllWaySync, but thought SynchBack more intuititive.

Ann

#13797 - 03/21/06 03:54 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software?
Reinhard Offline

Loc: Germany
Hi,

my favored tools for this task are "Superflexible File Copier" and "Foldermatch".

Foldermatch is easier to use, but SFC has more options. It even detects files that have been moved on one of your computers.

#13798 - 03/21/06 04:35 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software?
Nacho02 Offline
Enthusiast

Hi Martin,

thanks for your post.

I have downloaded the trial version and I must say that it's full of options it seems very impressive.

I have also seen that there is a freeware version. Perhaps it's easier to use... you see, I don't want / or need tonnes of options. I'll check the differences.

Thanks

#13799 - 03/21/06 04:45 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software?
Nacho02 Offline
Enthusiast

Hi Ann,

thanks for your input. I'll check the free version and see what it has to offer, but I agree that simplicity of use is a must. I found AllWaySync intuitive.... but beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Thanks!

Ignacio

#13800 - 03/21/06 05:24 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software?
Carloncho Offline

MirrorFolder, works greatly with my extranl HD drive. I keep it in my office and I take it home every weekend to update it

http://www.techsoftpl.com/backup/

Carlos

#13801 - 03/21/06 05:54 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software?
MartinLooker Offline

I think the pay version has much better synchronisation options and it is cheap as it covers 5 computers for $25.

There is a simple and advanced interface.

But as I said whatever you use there is the possibility with this synchronising stuff to inadvertantly delete files, especially if you are syncing from and empty folder instead of to it. So please experiment on test data before you commit your real data.

#13802 - 03/21/06 06:05 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software?
Nacho02 Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

Hi,

my favored tools for this task are "Superflexible File Copier" and "Foldermatch".

Foldermatch is easier to use, but SFC has more options. It even detects files that have been moved on one of your computers.

Hi Reinhard,

the ability to chase files around a hard disk might be nice.

Thank you as well!!

Gre,

Ignacio

#13803 - 03/21/06 06:08 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software?
Nacho02 Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

I think the pay version has much better synchronisation options and it is cheap as it covers 5 computers for $25.

There is a simple and advanced interface.

But as I said whatever you use there is the possibility with this synchronising stuff to inadvertantly delete files, especially if you are syncing from and empty folder instead of to it. So please experiment on test data before you commit your real data.

Hi again Martin,

yes, thank for the warning. A back up is a must, in any case. I see the danger... which is why I would not want any application synchronising on its own!!

Thanks!

#13804 - 03/21/06 06:11 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software?
Nacho02 Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

MirrorFolder, works greatly with my extranl HD drive. I keep it in my office and I take it home every weekend to update it

http://www.techsoftpl.com/backup/

Carlos

Hi Carlos,

that is what I also do with my pictures... I have a copy of all on my Desktop, I then have a copy on an external HDD and some on the laptop. What I do is, for example, copy the pictures from the laptop to the External HDD and then from the HDD to the Desktop.

Best regards,

Ignacio

#13805 - 03/22/06 05:27 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software?
Nacho02 Offline
Enthusiast

Just a quick feedback to those who recommended SyncBack. The tool is very powerful. I still have some problems distinguishing between Origin/ Destination and where those terms suddenly become right & left (and one has to wonder whether the origin the left or the right was...)

...... but I might be persuaded to buy it

I still personally prefer the User Interface of AllWaySync (cleaner and more graphical, in my opinion), and the fact that it can sync to more than 2 folders at once, but I'll test some more over the week-end.. Thanks to all.

Ignacio

P.S. I am in no way affiliated to AllWaySync.. in case anyone wondered.

#13806 - 03/22/06 07:48 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software?
Tomas Offline

DirectoryCompare 3.05 (http://tp.lc.ehu.es/jma/win95.html)
- free
- no problem in Win XP

#13807 - 03/23/06 12:37 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software?
micha_meyer Offline

TotalCommander.
It's a powerful file explorer and can also sync. directories.
See http://www.ghisler.com/

#13808 - 03/23/06 01:38 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software?
Richie Offline

Loc: Perth Australia
The sync software that comes with XP has served me well for a few years, I have a central desktop and a couple of laptops that sync to it.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/learnmore/offlinefiles.mspx shows you how to set this up.
The other one to try is sync toy, also free, http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto

#24460 - 12/24/06 04:24 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: Nacho02]
RomanZh Offline
Stranger

Hi, I've used Heatsoft ADCS ( Advanced Directory Comparison and Synchronization) and it is great.

From their website.
ADCS is a very fast and easy-to-use Directories and Files synchronizer. It is ideal for keeping files synchronized between a desktop & laptop and is a very fast method of backing up critical directories. With ADCS you can easily see what have changed in your directories and transfer changes with single mouse click.

#24614 - 12/29/06 04:50 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: Nacho02]
ENERSPACE Offline

Loc: California
I favor HeatSoft Synchronizer

#24632 - 12/30/06 01:25 AM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: ENERSPACE]
Richard Online   content
Oldtimer

Loc: Tennessee, USA
You might search Microsoft for "SyncToy" or look at Space Hound at
http://www.fineware.com/. Space Hound does a lot more than Folder Synchronization and is worth the $45. for a home license.

#24638 - 12/30/06 10:27 AM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: Richard]
herman Offline
Addict

Loc: Emmen, The Netherlands
My long time favorite is Beyond Compare. It not only allows for file and/or folder synchronization to an other drive, it can also do this via FTP. And of course you can compare files and validate data copies. A single license goes for US$30, which is (to me) good value for my Euros.

Herman.

#24642 - 12/30/06 11:42 AM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: herman]
khodadad Offline

Moderator and Scripting Guru
Oldtimer

As this seems an interesting topic, I'm making it sticky.

#25970 - 01/25/07 05:58 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: khodadad]
Rented Offline

Loc: UAE
There's almost too many options, but here's a couple more :)

Second Copy is a powerful synchronizer that has served me well. It has a lot of options but is still quite easy to use. The other option is GoodSync, which is almost as powerful and very easy to use. It is also free. Made from the same guys as my "Top 5 most useful programs" RoboForm.

#27644 - 03/01/07 08:13 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: Nacho02]
cucucu Offline

Originally Posted By: Nacho02
Hello all,
I am currently using: AllWaySync and I am relatively happy with it. Because of the amount of files which I have to synchronise, I would have to buy a couple of licenses.
Ignacio

I'm trying allwaysnc, the free version. The program seems ok but I'm not sure to understand the license terms. At some point it says that after syncronizing 20.000 files / month you should buy the license. Does it mean that it stops working unexpectedly when you reach this number ?

#27649 - 03/02/07 06:53 AM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: Nacho02]
reflex Offline

Loc: germany, berlin
The free robocopy from MS is ultra robust and knows all windows security tricks in and out. I use it to synchronize file servers across a network connection. You cant go wrong with it, but the its a command line tool and you need to spend a little time to figure out the right options.

robocopy

#27652 - 03/02/07 02:25 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: reflex]
John_Zeman Offline
Old Hand

Somewhat similar to robocopy I use the not free xxcopy Pro in a command line script to automatically backup my IMatch database the first time my computer is booted up each day. All I have to do is turn on the computer, go get a cup of coffee, and when I get back the computer is booted up and IMatch has been backed up.

There is a freeware version of xxcopy available which works fine on standalone machines. The Pro version is primarily for networks.

http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm

#27659 - 03/03/07 03:59 AM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: Nacho02]
RGreen Offline
Stranger

Loc: CA, USA
Not wishing to add to already great suggestions - but SyncToy is another free MS synchronization tool that has a 'friendly' GUI. It's a competent tool under a simplistic skin. MS seems to have focused on photographer feedback during the development of this tool. Vista compatible.

#27913 - 03/11/07 03:36 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: Nacho02]
terje Offline

Loc: Norway
I use Retrospect backupsoftware which has an option "Duplicate volumes ..." where I select which catalog I want to copy. I use it to syncronize images on two computers. Filtering what I want to duplicate is also possible.

#41796 - 05/06/08 10:08 AM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: terje]
micha_meyer Offline

I am still searching...
SyncBackSE looks good and is fast, but has no delta copy (it's a pain to sync the >500MB imatch database file over WLAN, so I would appreciate delta copy) and does not detect moved files / renamed directories.
Super Flexible File Synchronizer does that, but is more expensive, and has a really bad interface, no documentation, no user group.

So any suggestions for delta copy and moved files / renamed directories detection?

#41806 - 05/06/08 11:54 AM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: cucucu]
LensView Offline
Addict

Loc: Luxembourg / Europe
 Originally Posted By: cucucu
 Originally Posted By: Nacho02
Hello all,
I am currently using: AllWaySync and I am relatively happy with it. Because of the amount of files which I have to synchronise, I would have to buy a couple of licenses.
Ignacio

I'm trying allwaysnc, the free version. The program seems ok but I'm not sure to understand the license terms. At some point it says that after syncronizing 20.000 files / month you should buy the license. Does it mean that it stops working unexpectedly when you reach this number ?

It won't stop. It will just nag you each time. But for the price they ask, I just bought a license and never regretted it.

#41876 - 05/09/08 02:11 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: Nacho02]
puschpull Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
Super Flexible File Synchronizer
http://www.superflexible.com/
\:-\)

#44706 - 10/12/08 07:52 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: puschpull]
gigampfi Offline

I use the free edition of SyncBack. SyncToy is to slow for my huge file list. Even if I like the easy nice UI of SyncToy more it is less flexible. And since SyncToy has delta backup it creates a file in the directory. A huge one in my case. I will look at all the other ones mentioned here, maybe I find something even faster.

#44953 - 10/23/08 01:14 AM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: gigampfi]
loweskid Offline

Loc: Manchester UK
I'm coming a bit late to this thread but you might like to consider Backer. I've used it for years. It's a German company - and we know what good programmers they are... happy2

30 day trial available.

www.lowefoto.co.uk

#45302 - 11/08/08 10:23 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: Nacho02]
Herens Offline

Hi everybody,

I did a study a few months ago on this subject , and I finally selected SmartSync Pro ( 35 usd) :

http://www.smartsync.com/

Very fast, reliable and it also removes (after asking a confirmation) the files which are no longer on my hard drive.

#46030 - 12/08/08 12:57 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: Nacho02]
micha_meyer Offline

I finally bought Super Flexible File Synchronizer because of the delta copy feature (it's a pain to sync the >500MB imatch database file over WLAN) and the moved files detection (you do not have to transfer all files again if you only did a folder rename or restructure).
I am very happy with it.
Email support is also very good and fast - I once had a problem and got a program update half a day later!

#47185 - 02/02/09 02:42 AM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: Nacho02]
ianrr Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
I find Secondcopy superb for this http://www.centered.com/ ian

#48896 - 05/18/09 12:18 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: Nacho02]
gurukid22 Offline
Stranger

POST REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR.

You are not allowed to promote your own software here. If you do it again, I will cancel your account.

Edited by Mario (05/18/09 01:45 PM)

#49133 - 06/05/09 06:21 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: Nacho02]
Ric0la Offline

Hi!

I'm fresh to this forum (as I am to IMatch), but here's my 5 cents:

I like MS Live Sync [1] a lot. After looking around for sync software which is often $$$, this one offers nice features and is simple to use.

There's an article on this over at Lifehacker [2]. It used to be called FolderShare, but has been bought by Microsoft. Well, yeah, M$, but who cares?

Cheers

Rico

[1] http://sync.live.com
[2] http://lifehacker.com/372175/free-ways-to-synchronize-folders-between-computers

#50055 - 08/30/09 01:46 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: Nacho02]
Tor_Harald Offline

Loc: Norway

I'm currently using DropBox. This software lets me specify a folder (with subfolders) to synchronize, and it automatically synchronizes this folder to a sentral server (at dropbox).
When I log inon a different mahine (with dropbox installed and connected to my dropbox account) all files in the dropbox folder are automatically downloaded.

The nice thing about this is that the file synchronizion is very efficient as it is only copying the parts of the files that have been changed. This way I am able synchronize my entire imatch database which with thumbnails exceeds more than 500 MB!

With "normal" use the synchronization of this file takes less that 30 secs.

Usage up to 2Gb is free so I'm using other software for my photos (smartsynch).

You can get it at www.getdropbox.com

Regards
Tor Harald

#50064 - 08/31/09 05:08 AM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: Tor_Harald]
Aubrey Offline

Loc: (Irish) Trinidad
I'm using Allway Sync. (http://allwaysync.com)
It's not freeware, but if one is not doing too much then there is no charge. I ended up purchasing a license.
I'm very happy with it.
One can sync a number of different types of folders simultaneously.

When I make changes in my main folders with IMatch, it then becomes a very simple matter to update my backup disk with the same information.

Aubrey.

Edited by Aubrey (08/31/09 05:10 AM)

#50070 - 09/01/09 06:13 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: Aubrey]
RuiAlves Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Madeira, Portugal
Hi all,

since 6 months ago, I use backup4all.

Here you can find trial version
http://www.backup4all.com/download.php

It features mirror, diferential and scheduled backups.
Computer shutdown after backup, email notifications and FTP are also available, among others.

These were the reasons why I've bought this one.

I hope this help those looking for some solution :)

#50076 - 09/02/09 03:27 AM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: RuiAlves]
gkikola Offline

For those of you who don't need a full-fledged backup solution but are just looking for a simple, easy to use file synchronization program, I highly recommend FreeFileSync. It probably lacks a lot of the features of the commercial products that others have recommended, but it does file synchronization quite well, and is reasonably fast. It also sports a nice clean and intuitive user interface.

It is free, open source and, perhaps the best part, it's updated very frequently--usually once every week or two, sometimes with only days between updates. And the developer seems to check the project's forum fairly often if you need help or have feature requests.

And, despite this being my only post here, I am not affiliated with the project in any way other than as an end user.

#50082 - 09/02/09 05:05 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: RuiAlves]
delenca Offline
Addict

Loc: CT, USA
Originally Posted By: RuiAlves
Hi all,

Wow, how random. I use that too. I thought I was the only one using it. To make it even stranger, I am Portuguese too! Ola Rui!

Anyway, I tried out the program based on Calvin's great review (http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/review-backup/backup4all.html) and my bad experiences with Acronis True Image (bad customer service, corrupted backups, difficult to set up automatic differential backups). I like how easy it is to set up differential backups in backup4all and the fact that it uses "zip" for compression (meaning it's not proprietary and can be opened by anyone).

My 2 cents,
-Alex

#50083 - 09/02/09 06:01 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: delenca]
RuiAlves Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: delenca
Hi all,

Wow, how random. I use that too. I thought I was the only one using it. To make it even stranger, I am Portuguese too! Ola Rui!

Anyway, I tried out the program based on Calvin's great review (http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/review-backup/backup4all.html) and my bad experiences with Acronis True Image (bad customer service, corrupted backups, difficult to set up automatic differential backups). I like how easy it is to set up differential backups in backup4all and the fact that it uses "zip" for compression (meaning it's not proprietary and can be opened by anyone).

My 2 cents,
-Alex

Hi Alex :)

In fact, I'm really pleased using B4All.
Even if you simply want to keep a mirror copy,
for instance, using two external HDD, without ZIP compression,
you're able to do it.

And, as you say, there's no proprietary questions!
So far, it fulfills my needs.

OT: BTW, there are more Portuguese guys around here?! :)

Cheers,

Edited by RuiAlves (09/02/09 06:06 PM)

#50089 - 09/04/09 07:44 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: RuiAlves]
RuiAlves Offline
Journeyman

my computer crashed this week... :(

And I've to look back to my backups!

I found this video:
http://www.backup4all.com/kb/backup-stra...ations-131.html

It's a good general overview of it.

(I must underline that I have no connection to these B4All guys,
I'm simply stating my own experience in order to help others
that are looking for a backup tool)

Cheers,

#54070 - 05/25/10 02:40 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: RuiAlves]
AndyJohnson Offline

my computer crashed this week... :(

And I've to look back to my backups!

I found this video:
http://www.backup4all.com/kb/backup-stra...ations-131.html

It's a good general overview of it.

(I must underline that I have no connection to these B4All guys,
I'm simply stating my own experience in order to help others
that are looking for a backup tool)

Cheers,

Thanks for the good share,you can also use drop box as well,although it Synchronize files

#64859 - 10/05/12 03:43 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: AndyJohnson]
Photon Offline

I think it is very important to be aware, which files need what kind of backup. Leading motivation has to be the recovery effort, which has to be spend in case of data loss. From my deep and long backup experience and tool investigation I can just recommend two very good free tools:
For me a 1:1 backup without any proprietary concept (container, database, incremental, ...) is important. I like to be always able to see, check, compare, restore between source and target trees with FileManager and without any need for special backup tools.

I make continuous AutoVer versioned backup e.g. for office files (ppt, doc, xls, txt). For daily, weekly and on-demand backup I use FreeFileSync. Both tools allow filtering, detect modified files and backup only the modified files. That is the reason why I prefer XMP sidecars versus embedded meta-data in media files. It is great that IMatch does support this concept.

#64862 - 10/05/12 07:51 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: Nacho02]
WebEngel Offline
Journeyman

RSync!

Completely free and fulfills all requirements. I have searched for weeks for a backup software and haven't found anything that fulfills my needs. Until I found RSyncBackup.

There is a very good script from the top German news magazine, unfortunately documented in German. Try searching for an English script.
rsyncBackup.vbs

http://www.heise.de/download/rsyncbackup.vbs.html

Martin

#64863 - 10/05/12 09:00 PM Re: Non-IMATCH: File Synchronisation Software? [Re: WebEngel]
habanr Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Czech Republic
I use SyncBackPro. It is not free but is perfect...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  DeKa42, khodadad, Mario, Richard, sinus 
Cookie Usage
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
Forum Stats
4854 Members
30 Forums
9162 Topics
60815 Posts

Max Online: 160 @ 04/02/08 10:02 AM
Links
photools.com Wiki
photools.com
Release Notes
Installation Instructions
New General Topics