Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#61949 - 03/30/12 03:57 PM IPTC and Sony .arw
Ferdinand_Paris Offline
Oldtimer

I hesitate to ask this question, but I'm going to risk it anyway. scared

I have a shiny new Sony NEX-7 which produces .arw RAW files. In using Geosetter I found that ExifTool will write IPTC (and XMP) to the .arw. I discovered this unintentionally, because I didn't think to check my Geosetter preferences. I've been working with NEF for so long.

However iMatch V3.6 doesn't read the IPTC (only the XMP) and doesn't recognise .arw as a format that supports IPTC.

I assume that another version of iMatch is the priority right now, but is there any chance that V3.6 will ever recognise my .arw files as IPTC compatible? I'm having to rethink my workflow quite a lot at present, as the .arw has many metadata differences to .NEF (no shutter count sad ).

[I had to enable WIC codecs to get the thumbs correct, but of course that doesn't make any difference.]

F_P

#61950 - 03/30/12 04:01 PM Re: IPTC and Sony .arw [Re: Ferdinand_Paris]
Mario Offline
IMatch Developer
Slartibartfast

Loc: Germany
I have currently no plans to devote time to change the IPTC processor in IMatch 3. I'm running full throttle with the IMatch 5 development and test phase already.

http://www.photools.com

#61952 - 03/30/12 04:07 PM Re: IPTC and Sony .arw [Re: Mario]
Ferdinand_Paris Offline
Oldtimer

I thought you might say that, but thought I'd ask anyway. Thx.

#61955 - 03/30/12 06:03 PM Re: IPTC and Sony .arw [Re: Ferdinand_Paris]
Cytochrome Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Provence, France
I had a similar problem with the RW2 from my Panasonic GF1: Exiftool writes the IPTC correctly into the RW2 but Imatch doesnt see them.

So I had to change my workflow and now use Photomechanic for ingesting. It can be set so that it writes metadata from my Nikon bodies into the NEF and metadata from the GF1 into a xmp buddy. This keeps Imatch happy.

Francis

#61956 - 03/30/12 06:48 PM Re: IPTC and Sony .arw [Re: Cytochrome]
Mario Offline
IMatch Developer
Slartibartfast

I could add ARG and RW2 to the extensions IMatch uses for IPTC. But I don't know anything about the inner structure of these files, if any special things need to be followed to keep the file intact, how Sony or Canon software reacts on files with added IPTC data etc.

Phil knows what he is doing, and he has literally hundreds of users who send him samples and help him figuring out all these things. I don't.

The IPTC writing in IMatch is paramount for many of my users, especially commercial users in the industry. I don't fiddle with the IPTC or XMP writer code unless there is a good reason for it. And IPTC has been replaced by XMP anyway. I would always go for XMP instead of potentially risking my RAW files by adding classic IPTC data to them.

#61958 - 03/30/12 11:28 PM Re: IPTC and Sony .arw [Re: Mario]
Cytochrome Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Mario
... I would always go for XMP instead of potentially risking my RAW files by adding classic IPTC data to them.

This is what I do now with RW2 (for NEF I feel pretty safe writing IPTC into them), but I really don't feel comfortable with the IMatch XMP editor. I am looking forward to IMatch5 and hope the new IPTC/XMP editor will solve this.

Francis

Sorry Ferdinand for hijacking your post, but it is much the same problem...

Edited by Cytochrome (03/30/12 11:29 PM)

#61964 - 03/31/12 12:50 PM Re: IPTC and Sony .arw [Re: Cytochrome]
Ferdinand_Paris Offline
Oldtimer

Originally Posted By: Cytochrome
Sorry Ferdinand for hijacking your post, but it is much the same problem...

You didn't. I was hoping to generate a discussion like this. Can you please describe your workflow? I'm going to have to completely rethink my workflow for these new .arw files, and hope that version 5 will make it easier.

When you say you write XMP, do you mean embedded or sidecar? Prior to getting this new camera I had plans to trash all sidecar files. But if IPTC is suspect then so might be embedded XMP. But then if ExifTool supports it, I'd be more confident, as in Phil Harvey (and Mario) we trust.

F_P

Edited by Ferdinand_Paris (03/31/12 12:54 PM)

#61965 - 03/31/12 03:46 PM Re: IPTC and Sony .arw [Re: Ferdinand_Paris]
Cytochrome Offline
Enthusiast

Well, before getting the GF1 my workflow was simple:

- ingest, rename, set an IPTC template and write to provisory folders nemed by date with XnViewMediaDetector.
- if geodata available I used Geosetter to write them into the NEF
- copy/rename the folders to my "Image" tree and develop with B4/B5, the jpg/tiff go to a Bib subfolder
- open the NEF folder in IMatch, complete IPTC, catalogue and synchronize between NEF and Bib subfolder using your Image synchronization script (thanks alot)

So every metadata in the NEF or jpg, the rest in IMatch, easy to retrieve in whatever form needed.

Now with the RW2 from the Pana GF1 this didn't work, IMatch has the IPTC editor greyed out, and XnViewMediaDetector couldn't show the RW2 vignettes (I asked Pierre Gougelet about this but he had a lot of other things to do, so...).

So I bought Photomechanic. I use it for ingestion, rename, write to provisory folders, write all IPTC metadata, geotag images.

Photomechanic has two nice features: 1) a very easy to use, intuitive, customizable and complete IPTC/XMP editor, 2) there is just one editor which writes the full metadata either as IPTC into the NEF or to an XMP sidecar to the RW2. I hope the future all in one editor of IMatch5 is as good so I can drop PM and do everything in IMatch/B5/ASP (and rarely PWP).

The rest of the workflow stays the same, at present PM, ASP, IMatch. Works well for me. The XMP is no problem neither for ASP nor for IMatch despite the idiotic xxx.RW2.xmp naming of the former bib files. I am quite confident with PM, Exiftool, Imatch writing to the NEF, never had a glitch over the years. RW2 is less documented, there is no Panasonic SDK that I know of, so I play it safe, and B5/ASP reads the xmp sidecars written by PM OK.

Francis

#61988 - 04/03/12 09:41 AM Re: IPTC and Sony .arw [Re: Cytochrome]
Ferdinand_Paris Offline
Oldtimer

The key point is that Photomechanic produces sidecars. I could update my copy of Breezebrowser and have a fairly similar workflow.

Are you sure that Photomechanic isn't writing to the RAW files at all? PM's reported propensity for doing so without telling you about it was one reason I didn't ever get it.

F_P

#61989 - 04/03/12 12:27 PM Re: IPTC and Sony .arw [Re: Cytochrome]
Mario Offline
IMatch Developer
Slartibartfast

Can you please send me a sample file with metadata embedded by PM (or the XMP file)? To support email.

Edited by Mario (04/03/12 12:28 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  DeKa42, khodadad, Mario, Richard, sinus 
Cookie Usage
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
Version Check

IMatch 3.6.0.118
released on 08.12.2012
Forum Stats
4846 Members
30 Forums
9144 Topics
60715 Posts

Max Online: 160 @ 04/02/08 10:02 AM
Links
photools.com Wiki
photools.com